Monday, March 22, 2010

Class9

I’ve never been a fan of horror films. I’ve always found them much too scary. Ever since I was very young I would always cover my eyes or look away whenever even a preview for a horror film would appear on screen. Yet I later discovered that covering my ears instead of my eyes renders the horror films much less terrifying.
I find that it is above all else, the soundtrack in horror films that makes them scary. The heart stopping way the music swells and then falls into silence then swells again makes me jump in my seat much more than the appearance of a scary looking monster. The sounds of heartbeats, low drones, and eerie melodies manipulate audiences far more than audiences realize. I remember listening to the soundtrack of “The Matrix” as my sisters watched it from another room. The scene where Neo loses his mouth scared me to death and I hadn’t even been watching it! The sounds of him shrieking wordlessly and the nervous tone of the music were enough to provide me with a clear enough image of the scene to elicit fear.
Next time I watch a scary movie I’ll mute it and see if it manages to scare me at all. I doubt it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment