I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie for the second time the other night. This time I paid much more attention to the soundtrack and I noticed some things I hadn’t picked up on the first time around. All the talk about motif music we did in our last class helped me to notice the motif music in Sherlock Holmes. Throughout the movie there are certain bits of theme music that link together the mysteries of the film. These motifs give the audience hints about how Holmes is going to solve the problems at hand. Every time Holmes finds a new piece of the puzzle, the theme music plays. It is similar to the motifs used in The Manchurian Candidate which link pieces of a different mystery together.
There are also different motifs for each character. The main villain has a theme that plays every time he appears on screen, but also to suggest to the audience his connection with a certain crime.
Holmes and Watson also have a theme song that plays whenever they are about to launch into a mystery. Their theme music however touches the audience on a much more emotional level. The Holmes and Watson song is played to excite the audience, and in anticipation of the action packed adventure to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment